(Not Microevolution – Both Christians and non-Christians recognize adaptations within species)
Cross species evolution was theorized by Darwin in
“ On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life”
Christians don’t reject science –they reject naturalism (that the world just happened)
Objections to Atheistic Evolution
1. Nothing made everything
2. Chaos made order
3. No designer created something that has clear design (fine tuning argument – the conditions for life, as well as our bodies are all finely tuned to this world)
4. Impersonal matter created personal humanity (How did raw matter create consciousness and personality?)
5. How did the unintelligent create the intelligent? (non-feeling matter creates something that feels)
6. Where are the transitional forms between species in the fossil records? (and what is the likelihood that there would be non-sterile male and female mutations that could procreate?)
7. The so-called transitional forms like “Lucy” are assembled from skeleton fragments, not whole skeletons.
8. Inability to replicate or observe macro Evolution
9. Assumption that the earth is eternal – why is it falling apart? 2nd law of thermo dynamics
10. Avoiding hopelessness and despair – we come from no one, we exist for no cause, and when we die we going nowhere.
NT Wright in Simply Christianity – “Those who do not hold to the fact that we come from God, we exist for relationship with God, and when we die we go to be with God…the end result is suicide…all the way back to the Greek stoics.”
Bertrand Russell – famous atheist Philosopher…”Only on the firm foundation of the unyielding despair, can the soul’s habitation henceforth be built.”
Your feelings are more than atoms colliding, you are not here by chance, we were created by a loving and wise God, who created us for His purposes.
11. It’s bad science.
Nobel Laureate in Biology George Wald 1971: "When it comes to the origin of life there are only two possibilities as to how life arose: One is spontaneous generation arising to evolution, the other is a supernatural creative act of God. There is no third way. Spontaneous generation was scientifically disproved one hundred years ago by Louis Pasture, Spallanzani, and others…which leads us scientifically to only one possible conclusion, that life arose as a result of supernatural creative act of God.
I will not accept that on philosophical grounds; because I do not want to believe in God, therefore, I choose to believe in that which I know is scientifically impossible: Spontaneous generation arising to Evolution.”
Scientific America August, 1954
12. Chance never made anything…Chance is a measurement, not a force.
Several Points taken from Mark Driscoll’s Book/lecture “ Doctrine.”