He dies willingly as an atoning Substitute
- Freeing his people from the power of sin
- Freeing his people from the penalty of sin
He dies willingly FOR us
- So we need not fear Hell
- So we can know forgiveness
- So we can be declares righteous
- So we gain everlasting life.
NCC Q 24: Why was it necessary for Christ,
the Redeemer to die?
Since death is the punishment for sin, Christ died
willingly in our place to deliver us from the power
and penalty of sin and bring us back to God. By his
substitutionary atoning death, he alone redeems us
from hell and gains for us forgiveness of sin,
righteousness, and everlasting life.